In the rapid growth global economy, Lockheed Martin understood they needed to do more to create an environment where talented women want to stay.
Lockheed Martin recognized that only 9% of aerospace engineers were women. At the same time, white men were feeling excluded from diversity efforts and non-majority employees wanted to see men more engaged.
Lockheed Martin decided that to change the culture, they needed to engage white men.
- Piloted a series of 3½-day learning labs for leaders and high-potential contributors.
- Conducted focus group sessions with participants and employees, asking, “is this the right direction?” The answer was a firm “yes”. In fact, a group of white men sold the executive diversity council on the need for more labs, calling it an imperative—not a nice-to-have, a must have.
- Launched “Effective Leadership of Inclusive Teams” that further engaged leaders through learning labs and 2-day Summits.
Lockheed Martin continues to invest in creating a welcoming and inclusive workplace that powers innovation and success. For their efforts they earned a 2014 Catalyst Award. Other results:
- Substantially increased the percentages of women in leadership
Among senior executives, women’s representation grew from 16.7% to 21.7%
Among director-level employees, it increased from 16.0% to 19.5%
The percentage of women on Lockheed Martin’s Board of Directors has surged from 13.0% to 33.0%.
- Engaged men, who now understand and play a key role in redefining the culture.
2014 CATALYST AWARD HONORS LOCKHEED MARTIN
Lockheed Martin’s U.S.-based initiative Women Accelerating Tomorrow comprises a variety of programs, processes, and tools to support women’s advancement as part of a broad strategic effort to attract, develop, and retain diverse talent in a highly technical and engineering-focused industry. In the early 2000s, Lockheed Martin recognized that a diverse and inclusive culture could be a competitive advantage and, in fact, was critical to the company’s future success.
Lockheed Martin understood that in order to continue providing innovative solutions to meet customer needs, it had to attract, engage, and leverage a wider range of talent. This set the company on a deliberate journey to create a sustainable workforce for the future by making diversity and inclusion an integral part of the business strategy.